Keeping a Tradition of Excellence
Keeping a Tradition of Excellence
The award of Level IV Accreditation Status to the Ateneo by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP) is a recognition of the excellence of its departments and programs. Ateneo has nine CHED Centers of Excellence – Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Literature, Philosophy, English, Psychology, Sociology, and two CHED Centers of Development for Excellence – Information Technology Education and Business Management.
The Ateneo Graduate School of Business was ranked first in the 2004 CHED-FAPE evaluation of Graduate Schools of Business. The Ateneo Law School has consistently had the highest passing rate in the Bar exams over the last ten years.
Faculty and Student Awards
The Ateneo’s eight Metrobank Outstanding Teacher awardees in the college (more than any other tertiary level institution) and the four Metrobank Outstanding Teacher awardees in the Ateneo High School (only one other high school has as many), further highlights this excellence. Ateneo faculty have received many other awards over the years. For instance, since 2000, Ateneo faculty members have won seven 1st Prizes, seven 2nd Prizes, and five 3rd Prizes in the Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature, fifteen National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle, and four Outstanding Young Scientist Awards from the National Academy of Science and Technology.
Every year, Ateneo students consistently earn honors and awards in a wide variety of prestigious national and international competitions. In the year 2004 alone, Ateneo students received the following awards:
• Bar Topnotchers (1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th places)
• Recognition as one of the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines
• World Champion, JESSUP International Law Moot Court Competition in Washington, D.C.
• First Prize, First HSBC Young IT Entrepreneur Awards
• First Prize, Short Story in English, Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature
• Champion, Men’s Football, 66th UAAP
• Champion, Women’s Badminton, 66th UAAP
• Back-to-back Champion (2003-2004), Juniors Basketball, 66th UAAP
• Second Place (next to the University of Tokyo) and Philippine Champion in the Asian Regional Contest of the Association of Computer Machinery International Collegiate Programming Competition (the world’s most prestigious computer programming contest for university students)
• Overall Champion, 6th National Debate Championship (the fifth year in a row that the Ateneo Debate Society has won the national title)
• Grand Champion, 11th All-Asian Intervarsity Debating Championship (the fourth time it has won this competition)
• The Ateneo Debate Society has retained its number 4 ranking in the World Debating Championships after Sydney, Oxford, and Monash.
World Class Innovation
Ateneo’s world-class faculty and facilities provides students with a rich environment in which to explore, master, and contribute to research, development, and applications in the field. An example of this can be seen in the area of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Among the many laboratories at the Ateneo that actively engage students in academics and research are the Ateneo Java Wireless Competency Center (AJWCC), the Microelectronics Student Laboratory, and the Ateneo-PLDT Advanced Network Testbed.
At the forefront of SMS, MMS, and Java applications development, the AJWCC distributes content over wireless networks, building community among the wireless device users by helping them communicate in new and innovative ways. The Microelectronics Student Laboratory of the Ateneo is equipped with the state-of-the-art “Synopsis” suite of tools which enables students to design, verify, and analyze integrated circuits as complex as the Pentium 4. These facilities provide ours students superior training for the needs of industry.
The Ateneo-PLDT Advanced Network Testbed is a facility for research and development on current market deployment concerns, pre-deployment testing, as well as more advanced topics for graduate research. It helps develop focused training modules with integrated hands-on components on topics that cover leading-edge market and technological fronts such as radio frequency (RF) on fiber and advanced DSL (digital subscriber line) services.
Ateneo students have garnered numerous prestigious national and international ICT awards, a testament to the world-class quality of their education. These include the 2002 Worldwide Microsoft .NET Best Awards XML Web Services Contest in Redmond, Washington, the 2003 European IT Service Center Wireless Challenge, the 2004 Microsoft Imagine Cup Philippines, and the 2004 Association of Computer Machinery International Collegiate Programming Competition Asian Regional Contest.
Another fine example of how the Ateneo provides its students with innovative learning environments in which to pursue academic and professional excellence is the Ateneo’s John Gokongwei School of Management Business Accelerator (SOMBA) Program that enables students to set up actual businesses while still in school under the guidance of experienced entrepreneurs. When they graduated from the Ateneo last March 2004, many of the SOMBA student entrepreneurs did not apply for jobs; instead, they interviewed job applicants for their companies. Indeed, one of the successful student-owned companies emerging from the SOMBA will soon be exporting its products to China.